Sunday 25 October 2009

The Ghost of my imperfect past

In a few weeks time the brilliant Jim Carrey will star in the latest version of the 150 year old classic 'A Christmas Carol'. Like many classic stories he notes that the reason why the story is so appealing - it tells us of one of the deepest and greatest truths of life; that it is never to late to change direction in life, that it would be a life transforming event if we were to be aware of what will be said of us at the end of our lives and because it tackles the age old concept of redemption or in modern parlance - change management.

As we get older we often become more aware of our failings and we either have to learn to love them or change them. Change is never easy, it's fearful and many people (as the Christmas Carol story shows) still run a million miles from things that make them afraid or ask them to change.

Soon it will be my wedding anniversary. I love the idea that my wife is not the same person I married all these years ago. I love my wife not because she is perfect but imperfect. The beautiful things about the flaws and cracks in life is that the light comes through the cracks and illuminates and enlightens parts of our humanity that we often deny, such as our need to change.

Scrooge is no different to me and I would hazard a guess that everyone on earth has an 'inner Scrooge'. We're all flawed, by definition. Yet all the coaches, therapists, priests and psychologists will tell you the same truth - that those who truly love us will love us despite our imperfections. I know my wife loves me with my many flaws (well at least she tolerates them) and I look forward to celebrating this truth on our forthcoming wedding anniversary when we re-affirm our love for our (imperfect) selves.

Jim Carrey made this beautiful point about the Dickens' story. He said. "I think the moral of the tale is to love: to love yourself and to love the people around you and to know that you can make a difference in someone else’s life".

No comments:

Post a Comment