Wednesday 6 May 2009

Pint sized courage, touches the parts others do not reach

Courage!!!

It has got to be Shrek fighting the dragon, some motivational poster someone sent you as an email attachment or a pint or beer hasn't it?

Or could it be a widow standing in the pouring rain, drenched to the skin, singing her heart out at a graveside.

It was not planned, I was just about to begin my tribute to her husband and out of the blue the widow, with arms out stretched sang Jennifer Rush's 'The Power of Love' at the top of her voice and not just the chorus either, the full song. She had told me at the family interview that she used to sing this to him. There was no indication as we sat in the kitchen chatting that she was going to pour her heart out on the funeral day.

Maybe she didn't know either. Courage need not be pre meditated.

What could I do but let her sing, listen and admire.

What an inspiration. I don't remember feeling so touched in my last job four years ago as I sat at a desk wondering what I should do with the rest of my life.

I am so glad I have been called to help the bereaved.

I wonder how many of them know they help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment