Thursday 5 March 2009

Blogs, funerals and keeping it REAL

I was reminded last night at a Professional Speakers Association meeting in Glasgow that all speakers and writers should have a message that is; relevant, engaging, authentic and a message that has longevity. If its not is just words words words and more words. The brilliant Mindy Gibbens-Klein, The Book Midwife, made that simple but oh so necessary observation.

That is my daily challenge as a Civil Funeral Celebrant. To make someone's life real and ensure that they have a genuine legacy that their family will remember and be proud of. I say challenge because I can be exactly that. Someone said to me recently, 'Oh you do celebration of life ceremonies don't you?'. Well yes I do and I don't was my immediate thought.

This week I have conducted the funerals of two beautiful people in their early 30's. It is a challenge to have a service that only focus on 'celebrating' someone's life. What about the grief, the heartache, the pain that will still be there after the 2oo sympathy cards have been safety put in a box and everyone else just gets on with life.

You gotta keep it real man.

The sadness at these two particular funerals this week was palpable and on one occasion almost moved me to tears. I hope and pray that every time I stand up and speak from my heart about someone's wife, mum, son, dad, brother, sister, husband, wife, friend the service is one that is Real and relevant, real and engaging, real and authentic and real enough to comfort them for long enough after everyone has gone home and the cards are no longer on the mantelpiece.

Have a good day

Neil

3 comments:

  1. Looks like last night had an impact on both of us Neil as I wrote about it as well on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling, Neil. I believe that, if words are delivered from the heart with utter conviction, driven by a feeling that it is of paramount importance to get these messages across, then the audience will receive the full impact of those messages. They judge by the whole, not the parts. Wordsmanship seems important when you're writing, but not when you're listening.

    I strongly suspect you succeed very well in securing a legacy for those you talk about. If you didn't worry yourself to bits about things like this you simply wouldn't be any good!

    (It's a tough business we're in, where failure is not an option, nor an off-day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. At a recent service, a lady had written that the deceased told her he never prayed... because God had answered all of his prayers already with a wonderful family, profession and life. At hearing this, you could have heard a pin drop as the church was filled with tears and smiles. That captured the decedent's legacy perfectly, he appreciated everything he had and the family will carry his message with them. Thanks for this Neil, you've really made me think... Pam.

    ReplyDelete