Thursday 5 February 2009

The Legacy Man

Hi, my name is Neil Dorward and I am an author, a speaker, a trainer, a coach and a Civil Funeral Celebrant in Scotland.

I have decided to write a blog because I have just finished writing an article all about living your LEGACY and doing what you want to do TODAY before its too late.

I work within the funeral industry every day of my life. I speak at funerals almost every day of my life as a Civil Funeral Celebrant (http://www.bespokecivilceremonies.co.uk/) and have often written or spoken about the idea that tomorrow is promised to no-one, so if you have a burning desire or passion to do something, do it today.

Today I decided to start a blog

I have just come back from a very moving funeral. I led a funeral service for the same family a few months ago and today I was back with the family to give them the exact funeral that they wanted for their mum. There were tears, there was laughter and there was a connection between the words that were spoken and people's hearts, so much so that when one of the daughters came to read a poem for her mum, she took my hand, held it in a vice like grip of need and warmth and ask me to stand beside her. As she read, the tears rolled down her face.

We all need that sometimes, someone to hold on to.

At the end of the service, everyone in the congregation was invited to give a hug to the person they were standing next to and you could almost see some people's face saying 'Are you joking?' 'But we've not hugged in ages' or 'I don't even know the person I'm standing next to right now'. But people did, they maybe did something today they had not done in a while.

Tomorrow is promised to no one, what are you going to do today that you weren't doing yesterday?

Have a good day

Neil

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogland, Neil!

    Too few people in the UK are talking about funerals, swapping ideas, exchanging reflections, sparking off each other. How very, very good to know you're out there.

    Sound off whenever and however you like. I think the best and most moving thing about blogging is that you can say something pretty controversial or half-baked and good natured folk write in and gently put you right. It's a great way to learn and develop your thinking.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete